For information on frequently asked questions about the Marine
Data Exchange, please read on. If you can't find the question or
answer you're looking for, please Contact Us.
- What is the Marine Data Exchange?
The Marine Data Exchange is where you can access data collected
during the planning, building and operating of offshore renewable
energy projects. It also incorporates all of the data that was
submitted to the COWRIE (Collaborative Offshore Wind Research Into
the Environment) database, which this system replaces.
- Why does The Crown Estate collect these data?
- to safeguard retention of data and information for industry and
- to ensure that the best available evidence is available for
sustainable decision making;
- to provide developers with access to data and information that
enhances development opportunities;
- to work with developers to provide stewardship regarding best
practice data management;
- to provide information to aid The Crown Estate, industry and
public understanding of the marine estate;
- to facilitate collaboration and research for the benefit of the
- to provide support for development programmes in the event of
future development opportunities;
- Do I need to register?
You do not need to register to use the Marine Data Exchange. The
site has been designed to be open to all. However, registering for
the site will allow access to some additional functions, including
saving searches for future visits, posting on the Exchange Board,
and providing comments on the resources you have viewed.
- Is there a cost to download from the Marine Data Exchange?
There is no cost. Downloading datasets and reports from the MDE
Data Catalogue is free.
- What do I do if I want to download a file that is too large and the system crashes when I try?
You should receive an email with the links to the files you
requested. Use these links to try again. If you didn't receive the
email or trying again doesn't resolve the issue, then please email
- What is a Series?
A Series is analogous to a MEDIN Series which can be
defined as a collection of datasets and reports collected in
relation to a survey or data collection campaign, linked by a
common research question.
- What is a Dataset?
A dataset is a 'pillar' of data and information related to a
single parameter (something measured), instrument (technology used
to measure) or method (way of measuring something).
- What is a Report?
A Report is a set of documents relating to part, or the whole of
a survey or data collection campaign.
- Can I use advanced search queries?
Yes. You can use wildcards, logical operators and quotation
To use wildcards, simply include a "*" before or after your
desired search term
Note: you cannot use wildcards within quotation marks.
To use logical operators, simply use them in capital
birds AND mammals
birds OR mammals
Include quotation marks around your search terms whenever
they're formed by more than a word.
birds AND "marine mammals"